While every parent relishes the thought of no after-school activities or sporting events, summer can have challenges of its own. Having the kids home for summer may make for lazy, relaxed days, but keeping the kids from being bored is not an easy task.
Keeping the kids’ brains engaged over the summer is not an easy task either. However, there are ways that you can keep kids thinking while they are daydreaming at the beach.
Use the Outdoors
Using the good old outdoors is a great way to keep kids thinking as well as active. There are so many activities in the great outdoors that can expand a child’s mind.
- The beach – Going to the beach does not have to be an entire day spent in the water. Make a deal with your child that you will take him or her and a friend or two to the beach and even treat them to lunch if they will give you an hour of reading time. Pack up the sunscreen and a good book and go.
- Camping – If you have never gone camping before, taking your kids while they are little is a great way to engage their bodies and their minds. Camping takes a lot of preparation and some effort as well. Have your kids fully participate in the packing up and purchasing gear. Take your kids to the local library and grab some camping books so they can read up on the subject.
Look into pitching a real old-fashioned tent or maybe even have them agree that they have to learn how to put the tent together. Nothing makes a kid’s brain work harder than trying to figure out how to pitch a tent!
- Picnics – Make a deal with your kids to take them on a picnic and perhaps a boat ride in exchange for them bringing along an educational game to play while picnicking – perhaps a good old-fashioned game of chess, checkers, or a board game that involves some critical thinking. They do not have to know that these games keep them thinking; let them just think it is a fun idea to play board games in the park.
There are probably many forms of sightseeing right in your town or a neighboring town that are educational and fun.
- Go to a museum – A trip to your big city to visit a well-known museum is a learning experience but also fun.
- Go to a historical home – Taking a trip to a historical home can be fun and educational as well.
- Visit a planetarium – Going to a planetarium loads kids up on science while giving them tons of fun.
These are just a few great ways to keep kids entertained while exercising their brain.