When school starts back up again you want your kids on top of their game. And since learning doesn’t end when the school bell rings, keeping it going when they come home to do homework is important. So if you’re trying to decide what after-school snacks to serve your children, then you should consider some brain foods.
These are foods which will keep the kids alert and on their toes and ready to learn and work their hardest. Here are ten after-school snacks ideas (with variations) which make for great brain food.
Brain Food Snack Ideas
1. Almonds. Get some mixed nuts (assuming there’s no nut allergy) to feed your kids after school. It’s a quick, easy, and filling snack which does wonders for the brain.
2. Fruit. There are so many fruits you can go with that make great brain food. Here are just a few:
* Honeydew melon
3. Vegetables. Like with the fruit there’s a whole list of great brain foods that come in the vegetable variety. You shouldn’t have any trouble shaking things up with all of these choices:
* Brussels sprouts
* Yams/sweet potatoes
4. Cheese. Low fat cheese and crackers are great-pick-me ups for an after-school snack. Find one with Omega fatty acids and you have a real brain food right there.
5. Eggs. More specifically, egg whites. Now we know, you’re probably thinking who wants to eat raw egg whites? Well, make a nice meringue and you’re all set.
6. Oatmeal. Anything with oats. Oats are a great brain food, so oatmeal and oatmeal cookies are a great after-school snack. Add some raisins to the oatmeal cookies and you just brought this brain food to the next level.
7. Green tea. If you’re looking for something to have to drink along with an after-school snack, then green tea is the perfect healthy brain food choice.
8. Almond milk. Another perfect brain food drink of choice. Pair this with one of the fruits and/or vegetables above and you have an unstoppable brain food snack.
9. Tuna fish. Tuna doesn’t have to mean sandwich. Have a few Ritz crackers with tuna on them for an after-school snack.
You just can’t go wrong with yogurt, especially if you put one of the brainiac fruits mentioned above in it. A probiotic and brain food all in one makes this a perfect choice for an after-school snack.
Talk to your kids about what they would like to see as possible afternoon snacks. Give them options. Things that are easy to grab will be especially important for those on-the-go days. Change it up and try new things. You’ll be amazed what your children can do with the right brain food in their belly.
Photo by anotherlunch.com